Monday 2 April 2012

Technology: The Celebrated Killer


(Picture obtained from www.ehow.co.uk)
Like yesterday, I remember having to use the post to send my application form and credentials to an examination body. Those days were very memorable, not for how fast the service was, but for how I waited anxiously for my documents to be delivered, yes they were eventually after so much delay, but without feedback. I wished I could have them delivered in just 20 minutes (technology did much more than I expected). I also wished I could send them from the comfort of my home.

Technology has changed everything. We have now substituted sending letters via the post to sending emails with documents attached (where necessary) which can be delivered in spilt seconds.
Surfing the web is no more rocket science, watching and downloading movies online, filling application forms online, buying tickets online for events etc have become common place.  Needless to say we can do this and more much more on our Laptops, Tablets, Smart phones, wherever and whenever we chose. These were things that were not possible 30years ago. While this might be good news for the average technology user, it is bad news for some firms whose major competencies lie in delivering these services in the old traditional way.

Image obtained from www.channels.com
It is no longer news that Yorkshire and the Humber, the Popular DVD rental firm went into administration on the 22nd of March 2012. We also know about the rise in postal stamps in the UK by 3p for local stamps and 6p increase for mails sent to the UK. Now you might want to ask me what relationship this recent developments have with technology...not too difficult a puzzle to solve my friend. Simple..... Boley Smillie, Chief Executive of Guernsey Post, said they had a 15% drop in the amount of mails sent in the last two years and the move to increase postal stamp prices had been forced on them by the challenges facing the business.
Why is this happening?...Maybe we should start by asking ourselves this question. When was the last time you wrote and posted a letter to your father, giving him an updated about your well being? (Did, I hear you say I can’t remember? yeah me too). We have all been sending emails! This is the root cause of the decline in patronage of post, and please, please, please, who still walks down the street to rent a DVD? We now watch movies online, listen to music online without even purchasing a CD, thanks to music players like spotify.

Sadly, Technology will continue to maim and kill businesses that do not adjust their business strategy to leverage on its power. This is because people are turning to technology for its various benefits including speed, convenience, cost (in some cases), etc. Technology has become ubiquitous!  Moreso, the number of users of the post will drop further due to the price increase.

Technology has killed one more business and is maiming others, but instead of a life sentence, we are rolling out our drums and celebrating this beautiful murderer. How nice:d... My parents used the post, I did too, but fortunately, my children might not!


No comments:

Post a Comment